Wasu Airport is located in Wasu, a small village situated in the Morobe Province of Papua New Guinea. Serving as the main air transportation hub for the region, the airport plays a crucial role in connecting remote communities to the rest of the country and facilitating trade and commerce in the area.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Wasu Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Wasu Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Wasu Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Wasu Airport
- Other Airports in Morobe, Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Wasu Airport
To get to Wasu Airport in Papua New Guinea, you have multiple options available. The airport is situated in Wasu, just outside of the city of Lae. If you are already in Lae, the fastest and most convenient way to reach Wasu Airport is by road. From the city center, you can take the Markham Valley Highway towards Nadzab. Follow the road for approximately 40 kilometers until you reach the airport, which will be on your left-hand side.
If you are coming from a different location within Papua New Guinea or internationally, the most common way to reach Wasu Airport is by air. Located about 42 kilometers northwest of Lae, this airport serves as a hub for domestic flights. Several airlines operate regular scheduled flights to and from Wasu Airport, connecting it to major cities across Papua New Guinea.
Upon arrival at the airport, you will find basic facilities such as check-in counters, waiting areas, and baggage services. Given the smaller size of the airport, it is recommended to check the flight schedule and arrive well in advance of your departure time. Additionally, make sure to bring valid travel documents and adhere to the airport’s security regulations.
In summary, to get to Wasu Airport in Papua New Guinea, you can either drive from Lae via Markham Valley Highway or catch a domestic flight to the airport from major cities within the country. Plan your journey accordingly, following the airport’s guidelines to ensure a smooth travel experience.
The Wasu Airport in Papua New Guinea offers a variety of transportation options for travelers arriving or departing from the region. These options provide convenient and efficient means of getting to and from the airport, ensuring a hassle-free journey. Here are the transportation options available at Wasu Airport:
1. Taxis: Taxis are a popular mode of transportation for travelers as they offer a convenient and direct transfer to their desired location. Taxis can be found outside the airport terminal and provide a comfortable and reliable way to reach your destination. It is recommended to negotiate the fare with the driver before starting your journey.
2. Car Rentals: For those looking for more flexibility and independence, car rental services are available at Wasu Airport. Several reputable rental companies operate from the airport, offering a wide range of vehicles to suit different needs and budgets. Renting a car allows you to explore Papua New Guinea at your own pace and convenience.
3. Hotel Shuttles: Many hotels in the vicinity of Wasu Airport offer complimentary shuttle services for their guests. If you have pre-booked accommodation, it is advisable to inquire about shuttle options when making your reservation. Hotel shuttles are a convenient and cost-effective way to reach your lodging without the hassle of arranging for separate transportation.
4. Public Buses: Public buses are available for transportation from Wasu Airport to various destinations within Papua New Guinea. These buses operate on scheduled routes and offer an affordable transportation option. However, it is important to note that public buses may be crowded and have limited space for luggage.
5. Private Transfers: Private transfer services are available at Wasu Airport, providing a personalized and exclusive mode of transportation. These services offer the convenience of door-to-door transfers and are particularly suitable for larger groups or individuals in need of extra space and luxury.
6. Airport Shuttles: Wasu Airport also operates shuttle services to and from selected locations within Papua New Guinea. These airport shuttles provide a convenient and comfortable mode of transportation, ensuring that travelers can reach their destinations safely and promptly.
When choosing a transportation option at Wasu Airport, it is advisable to consider factors such as your budget, schedule, and personal preferences. Whether you opt for a taxi, rental car, hotel shuttle, public bus, private transfer, or airport shuttle, rest assured that there are plenty of reliable options available to cater to your needs.
1. Wasu Airport Car Park – Located directly adjacent to the Wasu Airport terminal building, this car park offers convenient parking for travelers. The parking area features a well-maintained surface and is secured 24/7 for the safety of parked vehicles. Whether you are flying out on a short trip or a longer journey, this car park provides a hassle-free parking option.
2. Wasu Airport Long-Term Parking – Situated within close proximity to the Wasu Airport terminal, the long-term parking lot allows travelers to leave their vehicles securely for extended periods. The spacious parking area offers ample parking spaces, ensuring availability even during peak travel seasons. With surveillance cameras and regular patrols, this long-term parking lot provides peace of mind for those leaving their vehicles behind while traveling.
3. Short-Term Parking at Wasu Airport – Located near the terminal building, the short-term parking area at Wasu Airport is ideal for those dropping off or picking up passengers. This conveniently located parking lot allows for quick and easy access to the terminal, minimizing travel time for both passengers and drivers. It offers short-term parking options for those requiring parking for a few hours or a day.
4. Disabled Parking at Wasu Airport – Wasu Airport provides designated parking spaces for disabled passengers. These spaces are conveniently located close to the terminal building, offering ease of access for individuals with disabilities or mobility challenges. Clear signage and well-marked spaces make it easy for disabled passengers to park and access the terminal without any inconvenience.
5. Premium Valet Parking at Wasu Airport – For an elevated parking experience, Wasu Airport offers a premium valet parking service. Travelers can conveniently drop off their vehicles at the designated valet zone near the terminal entrance, where professional attendants will take care of parking the vehicle securely. Upon return, the vehicle will be brought back to the valet zone, ready for a smooth departure.
Please note that availability, rates, and additional services may vary and it is recommended to contact Wasu Airport or check their official website for the most up-to-date information on car parking options.
Car Rental at Wasu Airport
Wasu Airport, situated in the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea, serves as a vital connection hub for the surrounding communities. The airport features a compact terminal equipped with the necessary facilities to ensure a smooth travel experience for passengers. With its informative signage and helpful staff, navigating through the terminal is easy and hassle-free.
The terminal at Wasu Airport offers essential amenities such as check-in counters, baggage handling facilities, and security checkpoints to ensure the safety of passengers. The waiting area provides comfortable seating arrangements for travelers, creating a relaxed environment while waiting for their flights. Passengers can also avail themselves of refreshments and snacks from the airport’s coffee shop to satisfy their hunger or enjoy a hot beverage before their journey.
Although modest in size, the Wasu Airport terminal efficiently accommodates the needs of the local community and attracts visitors from surrounding regions. The terminal’s proximity to breathtaking natural attractions, such as Tari Basin and Komo, makes it a popular entry point for tourists eager to explore the beauty of Papua New Guinea. In conclusion, the Wasu Airport terminal is a well-equipped and welcoming facility facilitating essential air travel for both locals and visitors to the region.
The operating airlines at Wasu Airport in Papua New Guinea are:
1. Air Niugini
2. PNG Air
Wasu Airport, located in the Morobe Province of Papua New Guinea, adheres to stringent security protocols to ensure the safety and wellbeing of its passengers, staff, and the airport premises. These protocols are in place to address the unique challenges presented by the airport’s remote location and the importance of maintaining a secure environment for aviation operations in the region.
To begin with, access to the airport is strictly regulated through controlled entry points and perimeter fencing. The airport premises are monitored by a comprehensive CCTV camera system that provides continuous surveillance coverage, allowing security personnel to promptly respond to any suspicious activities or potential threats. Additionally, Wasu Airport has a dedicated security team that is trained to handle various security scenarios and equipped with the necessary tools to maintain a high level of safety.
Furthermore, all passengers, staff, and visitors are subjected to thorough security screenings before entering the airport terminals. This includes a baggage screening process to detect any prohibited or dangerous items, as well as a personal screening procedure that ensures the safety of everyone on the premises. Strict adherence to aviation security regulations means that only authorized personnel can access sensitive areas such as tarmacs and aircraft, further bolstering the overall security measures at Wasu Airport.
The airport authorities work closely with relevant government agencies, such as the Papua New Guinea Defense Force and the Royal Papua New Guinea Constabulary, to ensure coordinated security efforts. Regular risk assessments and evaluations are conducted to identify potential vulnerabilities and implement necessary improvements. The security protocols at Wasu Airport prioritize the safety of individuals and the integrity of aviation operations, reflecting the commitment of Papua New Guinea to maintain a secure and reliable air transport infrastructure.
Wasu Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free journey for passengers. Travelers can rely on the efficient and knowledgeable airport staff to provide assistance and answer any queries they may have. The airport’s informative and friendly staff members are readily available to guide passengers through the airport’s facilities, from check-in to boarding gates.
For travelers in need of special assistance, such as those with reduced mobility or disabilities, Wasu Airport strives to provide a comfortable and accessible environment. Wheelchair services are available upon request, ensuring that all passengers can navigate the airport with ease. Additionally, the airport staff is trained to assist passengers with any special requirements they may have, making their travel experience as seamless as possible.
To cater to the needs of international travelers, Wasu Airport offers currency exchange services, allowing passengers to conveniently convert their currency upon arrival or departure. This service eliminates the need to search for exchange bureaus outside the airport, saving time and effort. Furthermore, the airport provides clear and informative signage in multiple languages to assist international travelers in finding their way around the facilities.
In summary, Wasu Airport in Papua New Guinea provides comprehensive traveler’s assistance services, including knowledgeable staff, wheelchair services, currency exchange facilities, and multilingual signage. Whether you are a domestic or international traveler, the airport strives to ensure a comfortable and stress-free journey for all passengers passing through its gates.
Shops and Restaurants
Located in the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea, Wasu Airport offers a range of convenient shops and restaurants to enhance your travel experience. Whether you are a local resident or a visitor, these establishments provide a variety of services and products to cater to your needs.
For those seeking a quick snack or a refreshing beverage, Wasu Airport houses several cafes and snack bars. These establishments offer a selection of light meals, sandwiches, pastries, and hot and cold drinks. Whether you are looking for a quick bite before your flight or a place to relax and unwind, these cafes provide a comfortable environment to satisfy your cravings.
Additionally, for travelers looking to indulge in some retail therapy, Wasu Airport boasts a number of shops offering a diverse range of products. From duty-free stores offering a wide selection of perfumes, cosmetics, and alcohol, to souvenir shops showcasing traditional Papua New Guinean arts and crafts, there is something for everyone. These shops provide an opportunity to purchase unique gifts or souvenirs to commemorate your trip to Papua New Guinea.
Moreover, the airport also houses convenience stores, where you can find a range of essential items such as toiletries, snacks, magazines, and newspapers. These stores ensure that you have access to everyday necessities, eliminating the need to venture outside the airport premises.
To cater to the diverse palates of travelers, Wasu Airport features a variety of restaurants and eateries. From local cuisine to international flavors, these establishments offer a range of dining options to suit different tastes. Whether you are in the mood for traditional Papua New Guinean dishes, Asian delicacies, or Western-style meals, the restaurants at Wasu Airport provide a delightful culinary experience.
In conclusion, Wasu Airport in Papua New Guinea offers an array of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of travelers. From cafes and snack bars for quick bites and beverages, to shops offering duty-free items and souvenirs, the airport ensures a convenient and enjoyable experience. Additionally, the presence of convenience stores and a variety of restaurants further enhance the overall travel experience at Wasu Airport.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
1. Port Moresby Jacksons International Airport:
Located in Papua New Guinea’s capital city, Port Moresby, Jacksons International Airport serves as the main gateway to the country. Within the airport premises, passengers and visitors can find prayer rooms and worship areas for various religious denominations.
– Christian Prayer Room: Situated near the international terminal, the Christian prayer room offers a serene space for Christian passengers to engage in personal reflection and prayer.
– Muslim Prayer Room: Adjacent to the domestic terminal, the Muslim prayer room provides a dedicated area for Islamic travelers to fulfill their religious obligations and observe daily prayers.
2. Lae Nadzab Airport:
Lae Nadzab Airport, located in the city of Lae in Papua New Guinea, serves as an important regional airport connecting various domestic destinations. Despite its smaller size, the airport offers prayer rooms and worship areas for travelers to find solace and engage in religious practices.
– Multi-Faith Prayer Room: Situated within the airport terminal, the multi-faith prayer room caters to passengers from various religious backgrounds. This inclusive space offers a tranquil environment for individuals to seek solace and engage in personal prayer or meditation.
3. Mount Hagen Kagamuga Airport:
Mount Hagen Kagamuga Airport is located in the Western Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea, serving as a gateway to the surrounding regions. Despite being a smaller airport, it provides facilities to meet the spiritual needs of travelers.
– Interfaith Prayer Area: Found within the airport terminal, the interfaith prayer area welcomes passengers of different faiths. This space allows individuals to connect with their spirituality, offering a peaceful setting for prayer, meditation, or reflection.
4. Madang Airport:
Madang Airport, situated in the city of Madang on the northern coast of Papua New Guinea, serves as a vital transportation hub for the region. Although modest in size, the airport recognizes the importance of providing prayer and worship facilities.
– Quiet Reflection Room: Located within the airport building, the quiet reflection room accommodates individuals seeking a peaceful environment for personal prayer, meditation, or reflection. Regardless of religious affiliation, this space welcomes all passengers.
It is important to note that these prayer rooms and worship areas may have specific guidelines or timings, so it’s advisable to check with airport authorities or staff for any updates or requirements.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Wasu Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a range of convenient facilities for travelers, including WiFi and workspace options. Whether you are a business traveler needing to stay connected or a leisure traveler looking to catch up on emails, Wasu Airport has got you covered.
First and foremost, the airport provides complimentary WiFi access throughout its premises, ensuring that you can stay connected with the world while waiting for your flight. The WiFi network is fast and reliable, allowing you to browse the internet, check your social media accounts, or even stream videos seamlessly.
Additionally, for those who require a dedicated workspace, Wasu Airport offers well-equipped areas where you can comfortably work. These designated workspaces are equipped with desks, chairs, and power outlets, providing a conducive environment for productivity. Whether you need to catch up on some work tasks, prepare presentations, or simply want to have a quiet space for concentration, these workspaces cater to your needs.
Furthermore, the airport provides ample seating areas with power outlets conveniently located nearby. So, even if you prefer to work or browse the internet from the comfort of a chair, you can easily find a spot to settle in and stay connected.
It is worth noting that Wasu Airport understands the importance of a comfortable environment while working or staying connected. The airport management ensures that the facilities are well-maintained, clean, and adequately equipped to meet the needs of travelers.
Overall, Wasu Airport in Papua New Guinea offers reliable WiFi and convenient workspace facilities to cater to the needs of both leisure and business travelers. Whether you need to catch up on work or simply want to stay connected, rest assured that the airport provides a comfortable and productive setting for your needs.
Accomodation Options Nearby Wasu Airport
1. Budget-friendly Accommodation:
– Budget hotels: At Wasu Airport, visitors can find a range of budget hotels that offer comfortable rooms at affordable rates. These hotels are a great choice for travelers seeking a no-frills yet convenient stay.
2. Mid-range Accommodation:
– Guesthouses: There are several guesthouses around Wasu Airport that provide a comfortable and reasonably priced stay. These guesthouses typically offer private rooms with basic amenities, making them ideal for travelers looking for a comfortable yet affordable option.
3. Upscale Accommodation:
– Resorts: For those seeking a more luxurious experience, there are upscale resorts available near Wasu Airport that provide top-notch amenities and facilities. These resorts often offer spacious rooms, on-site dining options, recreational activities, and stunning views of the surrounding natural beauty.
4. Self-Catering Accommodation:
– Vacation rentals: Visitors looking for a home-away-from-home experience can opt for vacation rentals in the vicinity of the airport. These accommodations range from cozy apartments to spacious houses, providing guests with the flexibility of cooking their own meals and enjoying private spaces.
5. Boutique Accommodation:
– Boutique hotels: For a unique and personalized stay, boutique hotels are an excellent choice near Wasu Airport. These establishments often feature stylish and individualized rooms, attentive service, and a distinct atmosphere that sets them apart from the larger hotel chains.
6. Bed and Breakfast:
– Bed and Breakfasts: Travelers seeking a homely experience can enjoy the warm hospitality of bed and breakfast accommodations near Wasu Airport. These establishments typically offer comfortable rooms and include a hearty breakfast in their rates, creating a cozy atmosphere for guests.
7. Airport Transit Hotel:
– Transit hotels: If you have a layover or need a few hours of rest between flights, there are transit hotels located at or near Wasu Airport that provide comfortable rooms for a shorter duration. These convenience-oriented accommodations are perfect for travelers in need of a quick and hassle-free stay.
Remember to check the availability, prices, and specific amenities offered by each accommodation option before making a booking, as the information provided may vary over time.
1. Rawa Peake: Located just a short distance from Wasu Airport, Rawa Peake offers breathtaking scenic views of its picturesque landscape. The peak is perfect for nature lovers and hiking enthusiasts looking to explore the pristine beauty of Papua New Guinea.
2. Wasu Hot Springs: Nestled amidst lush greenery, Wasu Hot Springs is a natural oasis offering visitors the chance to relax and rejuvenate in geothermal pools. With mineral-rich waters flowing through the springs, it’s an ideal spot for unwinding and experiencing the healing powers of nature.
3. Isurava Memorial: This significant World War II memorial is situated near the airport and pays homage to the bravery and sacrifice of Australian soldiers during the Kokoda Track campaign. Visitors can explore the memorial’s intricate displays and learn about the historical events that took place in this area.
4. Brown River: Flowing near Wasu Airport, the Brown River provides a serene setting for river cruises and scenic boat rides. Enjoy the tranquility of nature as you glide along the calm waters, surrounded by lush mangroves and unique wildlife.
5. Jungle Beach: For those seeking a tropical paradise experience, Jungle Beach offers a secluded stretch of pristine coastline. Visitors can relax on the sandy shores, soak up the sunshine, and swim in the crystal-clear waters of the Coral Sea.
6. Abau Village: A short distance from Wasu Airport, Abau Village provides an authentic cultural experience where visitors can interact with locals and learn about traditional village life. Immerse yourself in the customs, traditions, and way of life of the indigenous people of Papua New Guinea.
7. Kokoda Track: The famous Kokoda Track, known for its historical significance during World War II, is accessible from Wasu Airport. Trekkers and history enthusiasts can embark on a challenging adventure, retracing the footsteps of Australian and Japanese soldiers along this iconic trail.
8. Kokoda Track Memorial Hospital: Pay a visit to the Kokoda Track Memorial Hospital, which serves the local community and provides medical services to surrounding areas. Learn about the hospital’s history and the vital role it plays in the region’s healthcare.
9. Laloki Bird Sanctuary: Birdwatchers will rejoice at the sight of the diverse avian species found in the Laloki Bird Sanctuary. Just a short drive from the airport, this sanctuary offers a haven for bird enthusiasts to observe and photograph various vibrant and rare bird species.
10. Laloki River: Enjoy a thrilling white-water rafting experience on the Laloki River, located close to Wasu Airport. Navigate through twists and turns while marveling at the stunning natural landscapes surrounding the river. This adventure activity is sure to get your adrenaline pumping.
These attractions near Wasu Airport promise a memorable and enriching experience for visitors, highlighting the natural beauty, cultural heritage, historical significance, and outdoor adventures that Papua New Guinea has to offer.
History of Wasu Airport
Wasu Airport, located in the Western Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea, has a rich and fascinating history. Originally established as a World War II airbase by the Australian forces in 1942, it played a vital role in supporting military operations in the Pacific region. After the war, the airport continued to operate, serving as a key hub for domestic flights and contributing to the development of commerce and tourism in the area.
Over the years, Wasu Airport has undergone significant expansions and renovations to accommodate the growing demand for air transportation. Upgrades have included the extension of the runway and the construction of a new terminal building, allowing for larger aircraft and improved passenger facilities. These advancements have positioned Wasu Airport as a prominent air travel hub in the Highlands region of Papua New Guinea.
Today, Wasu Airport continues to play a crucial role in connecting the Western Highlands Province to the rest of Papua New Guinea and other international destinations. It serves as an essential gateway for visitors and locals alike, facilitating trade, tourism, and economic growth in the region. With its long history and ongoing improvements, Wasu Airport stands as a testament to Papua New Guinea’s commitment to developing its aviation infrastructure to meet the evolving needs of its people and the global community.
Other Airports in Morobe, Papua New Guinea
- Aro Airstrip
- Aseki Airport
- Baindoung Airport
- Bapi Airstrip
- Bawan Airport
- Biaru Airport
- Boikoa Airstrip
- Bulolo Airport
- Bunguwat Airstrip
- Bunsil Airport
- Derim Airport
- Dinangat Airport
- Engati Airstrip
- Finschhafen Airport
- Garaina Airport
- Garasa Airport
- Gusap Airport
- Heiweni Airport
- Imane Airport
- Indagen Airport
- Isan Airstrip
- Kasonombe Airport
- Konge Airport
- Lab Lab Airport
- Langimar Airport
- Lengbati Airport
- Leron Plains Airport
- Lowai Airport
- Makini Airport
- Maralina Airstrip
- Masa Airport
- Menyamya Airport
- Mindik Airport
- Morobe Airport
- Nadzab Airport
- Ogeranang Airport
- Omora Airport
- Pindiu Airport
- Samanzing Airstrip
- Sapmanga Airport
- Satwag Airport
- Sialum Airport
- Siassi Airport
- Sim Airport
- Siwea Airport
- Tapen Airstrip
- Tawa Airport
- Tekadu Airport
- Tobou Airstrip
- Tsewi Airport
- Tsile Tsile Airport
- Umba Airport
- Wantoat Airport
- Wasu Airport
- Wau Airport
- Yalumet Airport
- Yasuru Airport
- Yawan Airstrip
- Yegepa Airport
- Yeva Airport
- Zenag Airport
- Zuebak Airstrip