Weam Airport, located in the Southern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea, is a vital transportation hub serving the region’s residents and visitors. With its well-maintained runway and essential facilities, the airport connects this remote area to other parts of the country, contributing to trade, tourism, and connectivity in the region.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Weam Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Weam Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Weam Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Weam Airport
- Other Airports in Western (Fly River), Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Weam Airport
To get to Weam Airport in Papua New Guinea, you have a few options. The airport is located in the Western Highlands province, specifically in the outskirts of Mount Hagen town.
If you are traveling internationally, the most convenient way is to fly into Jacksons International Airport in the capital city of Port Moresby. From there, you can take a domestic flight to Kagamuga Airport in Mount Hagen. The total duration for this journey is approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. Once you arrive at Kagamuga Airport, you can easily reach Weam Airport by taking a short taxi ride or arranging a transfer service.
If you are already in Papua New Guinea and prefer to travel by road, you can reach Mount Hagen by bus or car. There are several bus services available from major cities like Port Moresby, Lae, Madang, and Goroka. The journey duration can vary depending on your starting point, but expect several hours due to the rugged terrain of the country. From Mount Hagen town, you can reach Weam Airport by hiring a taxi or arranging a convenient transfer.
No matter which travel option you choose, it is crucial to plan your journey in advance, especially when considering domestic flights, as availability might change due to seasonal or weather-related circumstances.
Weam Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, provides various transportation options for travelers. These options cater to different preferences and budgets, ensuring a convenient and hassle-free journey to and from the airport.
1. Taxis: Taxis are readily available outside the airport terminal, offering a quick and convenient mode of transportation to your desired destination. It is advisable to negotiate the fare before starting the journey or ensure the taxi meter is used.
2. Shuttle Services: Several shuttle service providers operate from Weam Airport, offering shared or private transfers to hotels and other popular destinations. These services are often more economical and can be pre-booked for a hassle-free experience upon your arrival.
3. Car Rental: For travelers who prefer the flexibility of driving themselves, car rental services are available at Weam Airport. Multiple reputable agencies offer a range of vehicles for rent, allowing you to explore Papua New Guinea at your own pace. It is recommended to book in advance to secure the desired vehicle and ensure a smooth pickup process.
4. Public Buses and Minibuses: Public transportation options in Papua New Guinea also include buses and minibuses that serve the airport route. These options are generally more economical but may be less frequent or have limited routes. It is advisable to research the schedules beforehand and be prepared for longer travel times.
5. Private Transfers: If you prefer a more personalized and comfortable option, private transfer services are available at Weam Airport. These services provide a dedicated vehicle and driver, allowing you to travel directly to your destination without any unnecessary stops. Private transfers can be pre-booked, ensuring a smooth and convenient transition from the airport.
Regardless of your preferred transportation mode, it is always advisable to plan ahead and research the available options. This will help you make an informed decision based on your budget, convenience, and specific travel requirements.
1. Domestic Terminal Car Park: Located adjacent to the Domestic Terminal at Weam Airport, this car park provides convenient parking for passengers traveling within Papua New Guinea. With a capacity to accommodate a large number of vehicles, this secure parking area offers easy access to the terminal building, ensuring a hassle-free departure or arrival experience.
2. International Terminal Car Park: Situated near the International Terminal, this dedicated car park is suitable for passengers embarking on or arriving from international flights at Weam Airport. Equipped with sufficient parking spaces, this facility guarantees secure parking and is conveniently located just a short distance from the terminal entrance, allowing for easy access to immigration, check-in counters, and customs.
3. Short-term Car Park: Designed for short stays or quick visits, the Short-term Car Park at Weam Airport offers a convenient option for dropping off or picking up passengers. Strategically positioned near the main terminals, this parking area ensures a hassle-free experience for drivers who require temporary parking arrangements, such as taxis, ride-sharing services, or visitors with short-duration stays.
4. Long-term Car Park: For passengers in need of extended parking arrangements, the Long-term Car Park at Weam Airport provides a cost-effective and secure solution. This spacious parking facility offers ample parking spaces for travelers leaving their vehicles for an extended period, such as holidaymakers or those going on longer business trips. The car park is conveniently located within easy walking distance of the main terminals, ensuring a smooth transition to and from the airport.
5. Disabled Parking: Weam Airport houses dedicated parking spaces for drivers with disabilities, located near the terminal entrance for easy access. These designated parking areas accommodate vehicles with valid disability permits, allowing convenient access to the terminal building and ensuring a more comfortable journey for individuals with special needs.
6. Covered Parking: Weam Airport also offers covered parking options for those looking to protect their vehicles from the elements. These covered parking spaces provide additional shade and shelter, safeguarding cars from adverse weather conditions such as rain or excessive sun exposure. Situated close to the terminal facilities, this convenient parking solution ensures ease of access for passengers requiring covered parking facilities.
When visiting Weam Airport in Papua New Guinea, passengers will find a range of car parking options available to suit their individual needs. Whether it’s short-term stays, long stays, international travel, or special requirements such as disability access or covered parking, Weam Airport provides a variety of convenient and secure parking choices to facilitate a seamless travel experience.
Car Rental at Weam Airport
Located in the Western Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea, Weam Airport is a modest yet essential air transportation hub serving the local communities. The airport primarily caters to domestic flights, connecting remote areas of this beautiful island nation. With a single runway and a handful of facilities, Weam Airport provides a vital transportation link for both passengers and cargo, fostering connectivity within the region.
The terminal buildings at Weam Airport offer basic amenities to ensure a smooth travel experience for passengers. Although relatively small in size, the terminals feature well-maintained waiting areas equipped with seating arrangements and minimalistic customer service counters. Passengers can check-in their luggage and complete necessary formalities promptly, thanks to the efficient and attentive staff working within these terminals, committed to providing a hassle-free experience.
While the terminal facilities may not be extensive, Weam Airport compensates for this with its stunning surroundings. Passengers are treated to picturesque views of the Highland landscape, characterized by lush greenery and rolling hills. The airport’s tranquil ambiance perfectly embodies the natural beauty that Papua New Guinea is renowned for, offering travelers a sense of calm and peace as they await their flights.
In summary, Weam Airport’s terminals serve as a vital hub connecting remote communities in Papua New Guinea. Despite its small size, the terminal buildings are well-maintained and offer passengers a pleasant waiting area. Travelers can enjoy the serene ambiance and picturesque views of the surrounding Highland landscape. Weam Airport plays a crucial role in facilitating air travel within the region and community development by ensuring convenient transportation for both passengers and essential cargo.
1. Air Niugini
2. PNG Air
3. Airlines PNG
4. Travel Air
Weam Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, has implemented stringent security protocols to ensure the safety and protection of its passengers, employees, and facilities. These protocols are designed to prevent potential threats and guarantee a hassle-free travel experience.
To maintain a high level of security, Weam Airport strictly adheres to international aviation standards. All passengers and their luggage undergo thorough screening processes using state-of-the-art equipment, including X-ray scanners and metal detectors. The airport’s security personnel are well-trained professionals who carry out their duties with professionalism and efficiency.
Additionally, Weam Airport maintains a robust perimeter security system to safeguard its facilities. Access control measures are in place at all entry points, preventing unauthorized individuals from entering restricted areas. The airport premises are monitored by a network of CCTV cameras, ensuring constant surveillance and instant identification of any suspicious activities.
Moreover, Weam Airport collaborates closely with relevant government agencies and law enforcement bodies to enhance security measures. Regular security briefings and drills are conducted to keep the staff updated on the latest security protocols and emergency response procedures.
Overall, Weam Airport’s commitment to security is commendable. Through the implementation of rigorous security protocols, the airport provides a safe and secure environment for passengers to travel, making it a trusted hub for both domestic and international flights.
Weam Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, is a hub for travelers looking to explore the beautiful landscapes and unique culture of this Pacific island nation. For visitors arriving at Weam Airport, traveler’s assistance services are available to ensure a smooth and comfortable journey.
Weam Airport provides a range of assistance to travelers, including information and guidance on local customs, visa requirements, and transportation options. Friendly airport staff are readily available to answer inquiries and offer helpful advice to make the travel experience hassle-free. Whether it’s providing maps and brochures or assisting with booking accommodations and arranging tours, the traveler’s assistance team at Weam Airport is dedicated to ensuring that all visitors have a memorable and enjoyable stay in Papua New Guinea.
Additionally, Weam Airport offers translation services for those who may not be fluent in English or the local languages, ensuring effective communication between travelers and the locals. This helps visitors to navigate through the country, interact with the local communities, and immerse themselves in the rich cultural heritage that Papua New Guinea has to offer.
In summary, Weam Airport’s traveler’s assistance services are designed to cater to the needs of visitors arriving in Papua New Guinea. From providing essential information to arranging accommodations and facilitating communication, the staff at Weam Airport are committed to enhancing the travel experience and ensuring that all travelers feel welcomed and supported during their stay in this captivating island nation.
Shops and Restaurants
1. Duty-Free Emporium: Located within Weam Airport, the Duty-Free Emporium offers a wide range of products for travelers to browse and purchase. From fragrances and cosmetics to electronics and luxury goods, this shop is a haven for those looking to indulge in some retail therapy before their flight.
2. Café Delights: If you’re in the mood for a quick bite or a hot cup of coffee, Café Delights is the perfect spot. With its cozy ambiance and friendly staff, this café offers a variety of sandwiches, pastries, and beverages to satisfy your cravings. Whether you’re looking for a light snack or a full meal, Café Delights has something to suit every taste.
3. Island Treasures: For those interested in unique souvenirs and local handicrafts, Island Treasures is a must-visit. This charming shop showcases a wide selection of traditional artifacts, including hand-carved wooden sculptures, woven baskets, and vibrant paintings. Take home a piece of Papua New Guinea’s rich cultural heritage as a memento of your journey.
4. The Book Nook: If you’re a bookworm or simply looking for some reading material for your flight, The Book Nook has got you covered. This bookstore offers a diverse collection of books, ranging from bestsellers to travel guides, ensuring that you’ll find something to keep you entertained during your journey.
5. Pacific Flavors: Treat your taste buds to a delightful culinary experience at Pacific Flavors. This restaurant features a menu inspired by the region’s cuisine, offering a fusion of flavors that will leave you craving for more. From fresh seafood dishes to traditional Papua New Guinean delicacies, Pacific Flavors promises a memorable dining experience.
6. Snack Express: For those on the go, Snack Express is the perfect pit stop. This grab-and-go kiosk offers a variety of snacks and beverages, allowing travelers to quickly refuel before boarding their flights. Whether you’re in need of a refreshing drink or a quick energy boost, Snack Express has a wide selection to choose from.
7. Duty-Free Liquor Shop: If you’re a connoisseur of fine spirits, the Duty-Free Liquor Shop is a haven for you. Browse through an extensive selection of premium wines, spirits, and liquors from around the world. Whether you’re looking to stock up on your favorite bottle or try something new, this shop has a range of options to suit every taste and preference.
With these diverse shops and restaurants, Weam Airport ensures that travelers have access to a range of amenities and services to enhance their journey. From shopping for souvenirs to enjoying a delicious meal, the airport provides a pleasant and convenient experience for all passengers passing through.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Weam Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers prayer rooms and worship areas to cater to the diverse religious needs of its passengers. These facilities are conveniently situated within the airport premises, ensuring ease of access for travelers. Here are the prayer rooms and worship areas available at Weam Airport:
1. Interfaith Prayer Room:
Situated in the main terminal building, the Interfaith Prayer Room is a dedicated space where passengers can engage in quiet contemplation, meditation, or prayer. This room is designed to accommodate individuals of various faiths and provides a serene environment for spiritual reflection.
2. Islamic Prayer Room:
Weam Airport also provides a designated Islamic Prayer Room to cater specifically to Muslim travelers. This prayer room is equipped with necessary facilities for ablution (Wudu) and offers a peaceful space for Muslims to fulfill their daily prayers.
3. Christian Worship Area:
For Christian passengers seeking a place for worship or reflection, Weam Airport provides a dedicated Christian Worship Area. This space offers a serene atmosphere where individuals can engage in private or communal prayer, read religious texts, or seek solace.
All these prayer rooms and worship areas are conveniently located within the main terminal building of Weam Airport. The airport management ensures that these facilities are well-maintained and easily accessible to accommodate the religious needs of all passengers, fostering an inclusive and respectful environment for travelers from different faith backgrounds.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Weam Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers several amenities to ensure a comfortable and productive experience for travelers. One of the key services provided is WiFi connectivity, allowing passengers to stay connected with their loved ones or catch up on work while waiting for their flights.
The airport has a reliable WiFi network that covers the entire terminal area, ensuring seamless internet access for all visitors. Whether you need to send important emails, browse the web, or stream content, Weam Airport’s WiFi connectivity enables you to stay connected throughout your time at the airport.
In addition to WiFi, Weam Airport also provides dedicated workspace facilities for those who require a quiet and comfortable environment to work. These workspaces are equipped with ergonomic seating, ample power outlets, and well-lit areas, allowing passengers to be productive during their layovers or delays. Whether you need to finish a presentation, respond to urgent messages, or simply catch up on some work, Weam Airport’s workspaces offer a conducive environment to ensure maximum efficiency.
Furthermore, the airport provides charging stations for electronic devices, ensuring that you never run out of battery power during your stay. These charging stations are conveniently located throughout the terminal, allowing you to charge your smartphones, laptops, or tablets without any hassle.
Overall, Weam Airport in Papua New Guinea recognizes the importance of staying connected and productive while traveling. With its reliable WiFi connectivity, dedicated workspaces, and charging stations, the airport aims to provide a pleasant and efficient experience for all passengers.
Accomodation Options Nearby Weam Airport
At Weam Airport in Papua New Guinea, travelers can find a range of accommodation options to suit their preferences and budget. Whether you are looking for a budget-friendly stay or a luxurious retreat, Weam Airport has something for everyone. Here are some of the accommodation options available:
1. Budget-friendly lodges: For travelers on a tight budget, there are affordable lodges in the vicinity of Weam Airport. These lodges offer basic amenities and comfortable rooms at pocket-friendly prices. They are a great option for backpackers and those seeking a simple, no-frills stay.
2. Guesthouses and homestays: Experience the warm hospitality and local culture by staying at one of the guesthouses or homestays near the airport. These accommodations provide a homely atmosphere and a chance to connect with the local community. Prices are usually moderate, making them an attractive choice for budget-conscious travelers.
3. Mid-range hotels: Several mid-range hotels are available near Weam Airport, offering a balance between affordability and comfort. These hotels provide well-equipped rooms with amenities like Wi-Fi, room service, and in-house dining options. They are suitable for both business and leisure travelers looking for a comfortable stay.
4. Resorts and eco-lodges: For those seeking a unique experience, Weam Airport also offers resorts and eco-lodges situated amidst stunning natural surroundings. These accommodations focus on eco-friendly practices and offer a range of activities such as nature walks, bird watching, and cultural experiences. Prices for these options are generally higher, but they provide an unforgettable stay for nature enthusiasts and adventure seekers.
5. Luxury hotels and resorts: If you are looking for a lavish experience, there are luxury hotels and resorts available near Weam Airport. Offering world-class amenities, gourmet dining options, spa facilities, and stunning views, these accommodations cater to discerning travelers who desire opulence and exclusivity. While they might be pricier, they promise a truly indulgent stay.
Regardless of your budget or preferences, Weam Airport provides accommodation options suitable for every type of traveler. It is advisable to make your bookings in advance, especially during peak travel seasons, to secure the best deals and guarantee a hassle-free stay.
1. Varirata National Park: Located approximately 30 minutes from Weam Airport, Varirata National Park offers breathtaking views of Port Moresby and its surrounding landscapes. The park is home to a diverse range of flora and fauna, including numerous bird species.
2. Port Moresby Nature Park: Situated just a short drive away from Weam Airport, Port Moresby Nature Park is a great place to experience Papua New Guinea’s unique wildlife. Visitors can encounter native animals, tropical birds, and even engage in interactive animal encounters and feeding sessions.
3. Bomana War Cemetery: A somber but historically significant attraction, the Bomana War Cemetery is the final resting place for over 4,000 soldiers who lost their lives during World War II. This serene and well-maintained cemetery provides a meaningful opportunity for visitors to pay their respects and reflect on the sacrifices made during the war.
4. Adventure Park PNG: For those seeking an adrenaline rush, Adventure Park Papua New Guinea is a must-visit destination. Located just a short drive from Weam Airport, this amusement park offers thrilling rides, water slides, and adventure activities suitable for all ages.
5. Parliament House: Situated near the city center of Port Moresby, Parliament House is an iconic and architecturally impressive building that serves as the meeting place for the National Parliament of Papua New Guinea. Guided tours are available, offering visitors a chance to explore the chambers and learn about the country’s governance.
6. National Museum and Art Gallery: Located in the capital city, the National Museum and Art Gallery showcases the rich cultural heritage and artistic traditions of Papua New Guinea. With an extensive collection of artifacts, traditional arts, and contemporary artworks, this museum provides a comprehensive view of the country’s diverse culture.
7. Ela Beach: Just a short distance from Weam Airport, Ela Beach is a popular destination for locals and tourists alike. This picturesque beach offers a relaxing atmosphere where visitors can soak up the sun, swim in calm waters, or enjoy a picnic with beautiful views of the ocean.
8. Kokoda Trail: Adventure enthusiasts can embark on a challenging trek along the famous Kokoda Trail, which stretches for 96 kilometers through rugged and scenic terrain. This historic trail traces the path of the Kokoda Campaign during World War II, offering a unique opportunity to explore Papua New Guinea’s wartime history.
9. Pacific Adventist University: Situated in a lush and peaceful setting near Weam Airport, Pacific Adventist University offers a serene environment for students pursuing higher education. The campus features stunning gardens, recreational facilities, and a range of academic programs.
10. Royal Papua Yacht Club: Located near the harbor in Port Moresby, the Royal Papua Yacht Club is a popular establishment offering dining, bar facilities, and water activities. Visitors can enjoy a meal with a stunning waterfront view or engage in water sports such as sailing, rowing, or kayaking.
History of Weam Airport
Weam Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, has a rich history that dates back several decades. It was initially constructed during World War II by the Australian forces as a base for their military operations in the region. After the war, the airport was handed over to the local government and played a crucial role in connecting the remote communities of the region.
Throughout the years, Weam Airport has witnessed significant developments and improvements. The runway was extended and paved to accommodate larger aircraft, making it more accessible for both domestic and international flights. This expansion helped boost economic growth in the surrounding area by facilitating trade and tourism.
Today, Weam Airport serves as an important transportation hub for the region, connecting travelers to various destinations within Papua New Guinea and beyond. It serves as a gateway to the stunning natural landscapes and vibrant cultural heritage that Papua New Guinea has to offer. With ongoing efforts to enhance infrastructure and promote sustainable tourism, Weam Airport continues to play a vital role in the development and prosperity of the region.
Other Airports in Western (Fly River), Papua New Guinea
- Aiambak Airport
- Ali Airstrip
- Arufi Airstrip
- Atkamba Airport
- Awaba Airport
- Balimo Airport
- Bamu Airport
- Bensbach Airport
- Biangabip Airport
- Bosset Airport
- Dahamo Airstrip
- Daru Airport
- Debepare Airport
- Dewara Airstrip
- Dimisisi Airstrip
- Dodomona Airstrip
- Fuma Airport
- Gasuke Airport
- Guavi Airstrip
- Gubam Airstrip
- Gulgubip Airport
- Habi Airport
- Haewenai Airstrip
- Hesalibi Airstrip
- Honinabi Airport
- Kamusi Airport
- Kapal Airport
- Kawito Airport
- Kibuli Airstrip
- Kiriwo Airstrip
- Kiunga Airport
- Kondobol Airport
- Kungim Airport
- Kuyol Airport
- Lagoon Airstrip
- Lake Campbell Airstrip
- Lake Murray Airport
- Malam Airport
- Mapoda Airport
- Matkomnae Airstrip
- Membok Airstrip
- Morehead Airport
- Mougulu Airport
- Nomad River Airport
- Obo Airport
- Okao Airport
- Olsobip Airport
- Oriomo Airstrip
- Panakawa Airport
- Pangoa Airport
- Rumginae Airport
- Sasereme Airport
- Selbang Airport
- Seltamin Airstrip
- Somokopa Airstrip
- Sturt Island Airport
- Suabi Airport
- Suame Airstrip
- Suki Airport
- Tabubil Airport
- Tapila Airstrip
- Tarakbits Airport
- Upiara Airport
- Wasua Airport
- Wawoi Falls Airport
- Weam Airport
- Wipim Airport
- Yehebi Airstrip