Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport is the main airport serving Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It is located approximately 8 km west of downtown Winnipeg and is the seventh busiest airport in Canada.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport
- Other Airports in Manitoba, Canada
How to Get to Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport
Getting to Winnipeg or James Armstrong Richardson International Airport is easy and convenient. If you are traveling by car, the airport is located just 8 kilometers west of downtown Winnipeg. You can take the Route 90 south from the city center and follow the signs to the airport. There are also several parking options available at the airport, including short-term and long-term parking.
If you prefer public transportation, Winnipeg Transit operates several bus routes that serve the airport. The Route 15 bus runs from downtown Winnipeg to the airport, while the Route 20 bus runs from the Polo Park shopping center to the airport. Both routes operate seven days a week and offer frequent service throughout the day.
If you are arriving from out of town, the airport is served by several major airlines, including Air Canada, WestJet, and Delta. There are also several car rental companies located at the airport, making it easy to rent a car and explore the city on your own. With its convenient location and easy access to transportation, getting to Winnipeg or James Armstrong Richardson International Airport is a breeze.
Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport offers a variety of transportation options for travelers to choose from. Here are some of the most popular options:
1. Taxi: Taxis are available outside the terminal building 24/7. The ride to downtown Winnipeg takes approximately 15-20 minutes and costs around $20-$25.
2. Car rental: Several car rental companies have counters at the airport, including Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz, and National. The rental car pick-up area is located just outside the terminal building.
3. Public transit: Winnipeg Transit operates several bus routes that serve the airport. Route 15 runs between the airport and downtown Winnipeg, with a one-way fare of $2.95. The trip takes approximately 30-40 minutes.
4. Shuttle service: Several shuttle companies offer door-to-door service to and from the airport. Rates vary depending on the destination and number of passengers.
5. Limousine service: Limousine service is available for those who want to travel in style. Rates vary depending on the type of vehicle and the destination.
No matter which transportation option you choose, Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport makes it easy to get to your destination quickly and safely.
Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport offers a variety of car parking options for travelers. Here are the different parking options and their locations:
1. Parkade: The Parkade is located directly across from the terminal building and offers covered parking. It is the closest parking option to the terminal and is ideal for short-term parking.
2. Economy Lot: The Economy Lot is located just a short walk from the terminal building and offers uncovered parking at a lower rate than the Parkade. It is ideal for travelers who need to park for a longer period of time.
3. Valet Parking: Valet Parking is located at the Parkade and offers a convenient option for travelers who want to drop off their car and have it parked for them. This service is available for both short-term and long-term parking.
4. JetSet Parking: JetSet Parking is located off-site and offers a shuttle service to and from the terminal building. It is a cost-effective option for travelers who need to park for an extended period of time.
5. Disabled Parking: Disabled parking spaces are available in both the Parkade and the Economy Lot. These spaces are located close to the terminal building and are reserved for travelers with disabilities.
Overall, Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport offers a range of parking options to suit the needs of all travelers. Whether you need short-term or long-term parking, covered or uncovered parking, or a valet service, there is an option available to you.
Car Rental at Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Avis Rent A Car
- Budget Rent A Car
- National Car Rental
- Advantage Rent A Car
Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport is the main airport serving Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. The airport has two terminals, the Main Terminal and the Richardson Terminal. The Main Terminal is the original terminal building and is used for domestic and international flights. The Richardson Terminal, which opened in 2011, is used exclusively for US-bound flights.
The Main Terminal has two levels and features a variety of shops, restaurants, and services. Passengers can find everything from fast food to sit-down restaurants, as well as duty-free shops, newsstands, and gift shops. The terminal also has a business center, currency exchange, and ATM machines. The airport offers free Wi-Fi throughout the terminal, making it easy for passengers to stay connected while waiting for their flights.
The Richardson Terminal is a modern facility that was designed to handle the increasing number of US-bound flights. The terminal has a spacious and bright interior, with plenty of seating and natural light. Passengers can find a variety of shops and restaurants, as well as a duty-free store. The terminal also has a US Customs and Border Protection facility, which allows passengers to clear US customs before boarding their flights. This saves time and makes the travel experience more convenient for passengers. Overall, Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport offers a comfortable and convenient travel experience for passengers, with two modern terminals that provide a range of services and amenities.
1. Air Canada
3. Flair Airlines
4. Delta Air Lines
5. United Airlines
6. Sunwing Airlines
7. Calm Air
8. Bearskin Airlines
9. Perimeter Aviation
10. First Air
11. Cargojet Airways
12. FedEx Express
13. Purolator Courier
14. UPS Airlines.
Winnipeg’s James Armstrong Richardson International Airport is committed to ensuring the safety and security of all passengers and staff. The airport has implemented a number of security protocols to achieve this goal.
One of the most visible security measures is the presence of security personnel and CCTV cameras throughout the airport. These cameras are strategically placed to monitor all areas of the airport, including the check-in areas, departure gates, and baggage claim areas. Additionally, all passengers and their luggage are screened before boarding their flights.
The airport also has a number of other security measures in place, including access control systems, perimeter fencing, and vehicle barriers. These measures are designed to prevent unauthorized access to the airport and to ensure that only authorized personnel are allowed in restricted areas.
Overall, the security protocols at Winnipeg’s James Armstrong Richardson International Airport are comprehensive and effective. The airport is committed to maintaining a safe and secure environment for all passengers and staff, and is constantly reviewing and updating its security measures to ensure that they remain effective in the face of evolving threats.
Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport is the main airport serving Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. The airport is located approximately 8 kilometers west of downtown Winnipeg and is easily accessible by car, taxi, or public transportation. The airport offers a range of traveler assistance services to ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience for all passengers.
One of the most notable traveler assistance services offered at Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport is the Meet and Greet service. This service is designed to assist passengers with disabilities, elderly passengers, and families traveling with young children. The Meet and Greet service provides a trained airport representative who will meet passengers at the airport entrance and assist them with check-in, security screening, and boarding.
Another helpful service offered at the airport is the baggage assistance service. This service is available to all passengers and provides assistance with baggage check-in, baggage claim, and baggage storage. The airport also offers a range of other traveler assistance services, including wheelchair assistance, language translation services, and medical assistance.
Overall, Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport is committed to providing a high level of traveler assistance services to ensure a comfortable and stress-free travel experience for all passengers. Whether you are traveling for business or pleasure, the airport’s range of assistance services will help you navigate the airport with ease and confidence.
Shops and Restaurants
Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of travelers. Here are some of the options available:
1. Hudson Group: This shop offers a wide range of products, including books, magazines, snacks, and souvenirs.
2. Relay: This shop offers a selection of newspapers, magazines, and snacks for travelers on the go.
3. Duty-Free: This shop offers a variety of duty-free products, including liquor, tobacco, and luxury items.
4. Starbucks: This popular coffee chain offers a range of hot and cold beverages, as well as snacks and sandwiches.
5. Tim Hortons: This Canadian coffee chain offers a variety of coffee, tea, and baked goods.
6. Freshii: This restaurant offers healthy options such as salads, wraps, and bowls.
7. Stella’s Café & Bakery: This restaurant offers a variety of breakfast, lunch, and dinner options, as well as baked goods.
8. Burger King: This fast-food chain offers burgers, fries, and other classic fast-food options.
9. Prairie Bistro: This restaurant offers a variety of sandwiches, salads, and soups, as well as a selection of beer and wine.
10. Great Canadian Bagel: This restaurant offers a variety of bagels, sandwiches, and coffee.
Overall, Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport offers a range of options for travelers to shop and dine before their flights.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport offers prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers who wish to practice their faith or seek a quiet space for reflection and meditation. Here are the locations of these facilities:
1. Multi-Faith Prayer Room – located on the main level of the terminal building, near the domestic arrivals area. This room is open to people of all faiths and provides a peaceful environment for prayer and meditation.
2. Muslim Prayer Room – located on the main level of the terminal building, near the international arrivals area. This room is exclusively for Muslim passengers and provides a space for prayer and ablution.
3. Christian Chapel – located on the second level of the terminal building, near the food court. This chapel is open to people of all Christian denominations and provides a quiet space for prayer and reflection.
All of these prayer rooms and worship areas are accessible to passengers with disabilities and are equipped with prayer mats, religious texts, and other necessary amenities. Passengers are encouraged to use these facilities as needed and to respect the religious practices of others who may be using them at the same time.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive during their travels.
The airport provides free WiFi throughout the terminal, allowing passengers to easily access the internet and stay connected with friends, family, and colleagues. The WiFi network is fast and reliable, making it easy to browse the web, check emails, and stream content.
For those who need to get work done, the airport offers a number of workspace facilities. There are several seating areas throughout the terminal with power outlets, allowing passengers to charge their devices and work on the go. Additionally, there are several business lounges available for passengers who need a more private and quiet workspace. These lounges offer comfortable seating, workstations, and complimentary refreshments.
Passengers who need to print or scan documents can take advantage of the airport’s business center, which is equipped with printers, scanners, and other office equipment. The business center is located in the departures area and is open 24/7.
Overall, Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport provides excellent WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive during their travels.
The following are the lounges available at the James Armstrong Richardson International Airport:
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge – Located in the departure level of the International Terminal, near Gate 21
- Plaza Premium Lounge – Located in the departure level of the International Terminal, near Gate 22
- The Club International Lounge – Located in the departure level of the International Terminal, near Gate 25
Accomodation Options Nearby Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport
Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport, located in Winnipeg, Manitoba, offers a range of accommodation options catering to various budgets and preferences. Whether you are seeking affordable accommodations or indulging in luxury, the airport vicinity has something to suit every traveler’s needs. Here are some of the accommodation options available:
1. Budget-Friendly Hotels:
– Super 8 by Wyndham Winnipeg West: A cost-effective option offering comfortable rooms, free Wi-Fi, and continental breakfast. Located just a short drive from the airport, it is ideal for travelers on a budget.
– Comfort Inn Winnipeg Airport: Another affordable choice, this hotel provides convenient amenities such as complimentary airport shuttle service, free breakfast, and comfortable rooms with modern decor.
2. Mid-Range Hotels:
– Courtyard Winnipeg Airport: Offering a contemporary setting and a range of amenities including an indoor pool, fitness center, and on-site restaurant, this hotel caters to travelers seeking comfort at a reasonable price.
– Fairfield Inn & Suites Winnipeg: Located near the airport, this hotel offers spacious rooms, complimentary breakfast, and a well-equipped fitness center, making it a great option for those looking for a mid-range experience.
3. Upscale Hotels:
– Hilton Winnipeg Airport Suites: A luxurious hotel boasting spacious suites with separate living areas and elegant furnishings. Guests can enjoy amenities like a heated indoor pool, on-site restaurant, and a complimentary airport shuttle.
– Delta Hotels by Marriott Winnipeg: This upscale hotel offers stylish rooms, upscale dining options, a fitness center, and a heated indoor/outdoor pool. It provides a sophisticated ambiance for those seeking a touch of luxury.
4. Boutique Hotels:
– The Grand Winnipeg Airport Hotel: A modern boutique-style hotel located within the airport terminal, offering convenience and comfort. This unique hotel features contemporary rooms, a rooftop lounge, and direct access to the airport’s amenities.
– ALT Hotel Winnipeg: Situated just a short distance from the airport, ALT Hotel offers a trendy and modern atmosphere. With sleek rooms and eco-friendly initiatives, guests can enjoy a boutique experience in a convenient location.
5. Extended Stay Hotels:
– Sandman Hotel & Suites Winnipeg Airport: Perfect for extended stays, this hotel offers spacious suites with kitchenettes, a fitness center, on-site dining, and complimentary airport shuttle service, ensuring a comfortable and convenient long-term stay.
– Homewood Suites by Hilton Winnipeg Airport-Polo Park: Providing suites with separate living areas and fully equipped kitchens, this hotel is suitable for guests looking for an extended stay option. Additional amenities include a complimentary hot breakfast and afternoon socials on select evenings.
These accommodation options at or near Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport offer a variety of choices that cater to different budgets, from economical to luxurious experiences. Whether you are looking for a quick layover or an extended stay, there is an option to suit every traveler’s needs.
1. Assiniboine Park Zoo: Just a short drive away from the airport, Assiniboine Park Zoo is a beloved attraction featuring over 200 species of animals. Visitors can marvel at the polar bears, tigers, and snow leopards, explore the tropical rainforest exhibit, or take a leisurely stroll through the beautiful English Gardens.
2. The Forks National Historic Site: Located in the heart of Winnipeg, The Forks is a historic site where the Red and Assiniboine rivers converge. This vibrant cultural hub offers year-round activities such as ice skating in the winter, concerts and festivals in the summer, and a variety of shops, restaurants, and museums to explore.
3. Canadian Museum for Human Rights: A must-visit destination for history enthusiasts, the Canadian Museum for Human Rights is the first national museum dedicated solely to the topic of human rights. Immersive galleries, thought-provoking exhibits, and stunning architecture make this museum an unforgettable experience.
4. Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada: Situated just minutes away from the airport, this museum offers a fascinating look into the history of aviation in Western Canada. Visitors can explore a wide range of aircraft, including vintage planes, helicopters, and military jets.
5. Assiniboine Park: Spanning over 1,100 acres, Assiniboine Park is the perfect place to unwind and enjoy the outdoors. The park features picturesque walking trails, beautifully manicured gardens, a charming duck pond, and the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden, which showcases stunning bronze works.
6. Manitoba Museum: Offering a captivating journey through Manitoba’s cultural and natural history, the Manitoba Museum is filled with engaging exhibits, interactive displays, and a planetarium. Visitors can learn about the province’s past, explore the solar system, or observe the towering replica of a prehistoric sea creature.
7. Saint-Boniface Cathedral: Recognized as a National Historic Site, the Saint-Boniface Cathedral is an architectural gem situated in the French Quarter of Winnipeg. Visitors can admire the stunning stained glass windows, learn about the history of the area, and explore the tranquil grounds.
8. Oak Hammock Marsh: Nestled just north of Winnipeg, Oak Hammock Marsh is a haven for nature lovers. This ecologically diverse wetland offers opportunities for birdwatching, hiking, canoeing, and even cross-country skiing in the winter.
9. Canadian Forces Museum of Aerospace Defense: Aviation enthusiasts and military history buffs will be enthralled by the Canadian Forces Museum of Aerospace Defense. Located on the airbase grounds, the museum showcases a remarkable collection of aircraft, artifacts, and interactive exhibits highlighting Canada’s involvement in aerospace defense.
10. Grand Beach Provincial Park: Situated on the eastern shore of Lake Winnipeg, Grand Beach Provincial Park offers an idyllic escape from the city. With its pristine sandy beaches, clear waters, and recreational activities like swimming, picnicking, and hiking, it is a popular destination for locals and tourists alike.
History of Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport
Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport is the largest airport in Manitoba, Canada. It was named after James Armstrong Richardson, a prominent Canadian businessman and philanthropist. The airport has a rich history that dates back to the early 1900s when it was first used as a landing strip for small aircraft.
In 1928, the airport was officially opened as Stevenson Aerodrome, named after the owner of the land. It was later renamed Winnipeg International Airport in 1958. The airport underwent major renovations and expansions in the 1960s and 1970s, which included the construction of a new terminal building and runway.
In 2006, the airport was renamed Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport in honor of James Armstrong Richardson. Today, the airport serves as a hub for several airlines, including Air Canada, WestJet, and Delta Air Lines. It has also been recognized for its sustainability efforts, including the installation of solar panels and a geothermal heating and cooling system. With its rich history and modern amenities, Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport continues to be an important transportation hub for the region.
Other Airports in Manitoba, Canada
- Berens River Airport
- Brandon Municipal Airport
- Brochet Airport
- Churchill Airport
- Cross Lake (Charlie Sinclair Memorial) Airport
- Dauphin Barker Airport
- Flin Flon Airport
- Gillam Airport
- Gimli Industrial Park Airport
- Gods Lake Narrows Airport
- Gods River Airport
- Ilford Airport
- Island Lake Airport
- Jenpeg Airport
- Kelsey Airport
- Lac Brochet Airport
- Lac Du Bonnet Airport
- Leaf Rapids Airport
- Little Grand Rapids Airport
- Lynn Lake Airport
- Nejanilini Lake Airport
- Norway House Airport
- Oxford House Airport
- Pikwitonei Airport
- Poplar River Airport
- Portage-la-Prairie / Southport Airport
- Pukatawagan Airport
- Red Sucker Lake Airport
- Shamattawa Airport
- South Indian Lake Airport
- St. Theresa Point Airport
- Swan River Airport
- Tadoule Lake Airport
- The Pas Airport
- Thicket Portage Airport
- Thompson Airport
- Virden / RJ (Bob) Andrew Field Regional Aerodrome
- Winnipeg / James Armstrong Richardson International Airport
- Winnipeg / St. Andrews Airport
- York Landing Airport