Yangon International Airport is the primary airport serving Yangon, the largest city in Myanmar. It is located approximately 15 kilometers north of the city center and is the busiest airport in the country. The airport serves as a hub for several airlines, including Myanmar National Airlines and Air KBZ.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Yangon International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Yangon International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Yangon International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Yangon International Airport
- Other Airports in Yangon Division, Burma
How to Get to Yangon International Airport
Yangon International Airport is the main airport in Myanmar and is located approximately 15 kilometers north of downtown Yangon. There are several ways to get to the airport, including by taxi, bus, or private car.
Taxis are readily available throughout the city and are a convenient way to get to the airport. The journey takes around 30 minutes and costs between 8,000 and 10,000 kyats, depending on the time of day and traffic conditions.
Buses are also available and are a cheaper option, costing around 500 kyats per person. However, they can be crowded and may not be the most comfortable option for those with a lot of luggage.
Private cars can be arranged through hotels or travel agencies and offer a more comfortable and convenient option for those who prefer not to take public transport. Prices vary depending on the type of vehicle and the distance traveled.
Overall, getting to Yangon International Airport is relatively straightforward and can be done by taxi, bus, or private car. It is recommended to allow plenty of time for travel, especially during peak hours, to ensure you arrive at the airport on time for your flight.
Yangon International Airport is the primary gateway to Myanmar, serving millions of passengers every year. The airport is located approximately 15 kilometers north of downtown Yangon and offers several transportation options for travelers to reach their destination.
1. Taxi: Taxis are available at the airport 24/7 and are the most convenient way to reach your destination. The fare is fixed and can be paid in local currency or US dollars.
2. Airport Shuttle Bus: The airport shuttle bus is a cost-effective option for travelers who want to save money. The bus runs every 30 minutes and stops at several locations in Yangon.
3. Private Car: Private car services are available at the airport for travelers who want a more comfortable and personalized experience. These services can be booked in advance or at the airport.
4. Public Bus: Public buses are available outside the airport and are the cheapest transportation option. However, they can be crowded and uncomfortable, especially if you have luggage.
5. Motorcycle Taxi: Motorcycle taxis are a popular mode of transportation in Yangon and are available outside the airport. They are fast and affordable but can be risky for travelers who are not used to riding on a motorcycle.
In conclusion, Yangon International Airport offers several transportation options for travelers to reach their destination. Whether you prefer comfort, affordability, or convenience, there is a transportation option that suits your needs.
Yangon International Airport offers several car parking options for passengers and visitors. Here are the different car parking areas and their locations:
1. Short-term parking: This parking area is located near the terminal building and is ideal for those who need to park their car for a few hours. The rates for short-term parking are charged on an hourly basis.
2. Long-term parking: This parking area is located a bit further away from the terminal building and is ideal for those who need to park their car for a longer duration. The rates for long-term parking are charged on a daily basis.
3. Premium parking: This parking area is located closest to the terminal building and offers the most convenient parking option. The rates for premium parking are higher than the other options.
4. Valet parking: This parking option is available for those who want to save time and hassle. A valet attendant will park your car for you and bring it back when you return. The valet parking area is located near the terminal building.
5. Motorcycle parking: This parking area is located near the terminal building and is reserved for motorcycles only. The rates for motorcycle parking are charged on an hourly basis.
Overall, Yangon International Airport offers a variety of car parking options to suit the needs of all passengers and visitors. It is recommended to check the rates and availability of each parking option before arriving at the airport.
Car Rental at Yangon International Airport
Yangon International Airport is the primary airport serving Myanmar’s largest city, Yangon. The airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Terminal 1 is the older of the two and is used for domestic flights, while Terminal 2 is used for international flights.
Terminal 1 has a capacity of 2.5 million passengers per year and is equipped with basic facilities such as check-in counters, baggage handling systems, and security checkpoints. The terminal has a few shops and restaurants, but the options are limited. Passengers can access free Wi-Fi throughout the terminal.
Terminal 2, on the other hand, is a modern and spacious terminal with a capacity of 6 million passengers per year. The terminal has a wide range of facilities, including duty-free shops, restaurants, lounges, and prayer rooms. Passengers can also access free Wi-Fi throughout the terminal. Terminal 2 has 48 check-in counters, 10 immigration counters, and 6 security checkpoints to ensure a smooth and efficient travel experience.
Overall, Yangon International Airport’s terminals provide a comfortable and convenient travel experience for passengers. While Terminal 1 is basic, it serves its purpose for domestic flights, and Terminal 2 offers a modern and spacious environment for international travelers.
2. Air China
3. Air KBZ
4. All Nippon Airways (ANA)
5. Asiana Airlines
6. Bangkok Airways
7. Cathay Dragon
8. China Eastern Airlines
9. China Southern Airlines
11. EVA Air
12. Golden Myanmar Airlines
14. Japan Airlines
15. Jetstar Asia Airways
16. Korean Air
17. Malaysia Airlines
18. Myanmar Airways International
19. Qatar Airways
20. Singapore Airlines
21. Thai Airways
22. VietJet Air
23. Vietnam Airlines
Yangon International Airport is the primary airport in Myanmar and serves as a gateway to the country for international travelers. The airport has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety of passengers and staff. The security measures are in line with international standards and are constantly reviewed and updated to keep up with the latest security threats.
All passengers and their luggage are screened before entering the airport terminal. The screening process includes X-ray machines, metal detectors, and body scanners. Passengers are also required to remove their shoes, belts, and jackets before passing through the security checkpoint. Any prohibited items such as weapons, explosives, and liquids over 100ml are confiscated.
In addition to the screening process, the airport has a team of trained security personnel who patrol the terminal and monitor CCTV cameras. The airport also has a dedicated security team that works closely with local law enforcement agencies to ensure the safety of the airport and its passengers. Overall, Yangon International Airport’s security protocols are comprehensive and effective in ensuring the safety of all passengers and staff.
Yangon International Airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience for passengers. The airport has a dedicated information desk located in the arrivals hall, where passengers can obtain information on airport facilities, transportation options, and other travel-related queries. The information desk is staffed by knowledgeable and friendly personnel who are always ready to assist passengers.
For passengers with special needs, Yangon International Airport provides a range of services, including wheelchair assistance, special seating arrangements, and assistance with boarding and disembarking. The airport also has dedicated restrooms and parking spaces for passengers with disabilities.
In addition, the airport offers a range of other services, including baggage wrapping, baggage storage, and currency exchange. Passengers can also avail of the airport’s VIP lounge, which offers a comfortable and relaxing environment with complimentary refreshments and Wi-Fi access.
Overall, Yangon International Airport’s traveler’s assistance services are designed to provide passengers with a stress-free and enjoyable travel experience. The airport’s friendly and efficient staff are always on hand to assist passengers with any queries or concerns they may have, ensuring that their journey through the airport is as smooth and comfortable as possible.
Shops and Restaurants
Yangon International Airport is a bustling hub for travelers from all over the world. The airport offers a wide range of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of its passengers. Here are some of the top shops and restaurants at Yangon International Airport:
1. Duty-Free Shops: Yangon International Airport has a range of duty-free shops that offer a variety of products such as cosmetics, perfumes, chocolates, and liquor.
2. Souvenir Shops: There are several souvenir shops at the airport that offer traditional Burmese handicrafts, clothing, and accessories.
3. Bookstores: Passengers can browse through a range of books, magazines, and newspapers at the airport’s bookstores.
4. Convenience Stores: There are several convenience stores at the airport that offer snacks, drinks, and other travel essentials.
1. Café Yangon: This restaurant offers a range of Burmese and international cuisine, including sandwiches, salads, and pasta.
2. KFC: Passengers can enjoy their favorite fried chicken at KFC, which is located in the airport’s food court.
3. Pizza Hut: Pizza Hut offers a range of pizzas, pasta, and salads for passengers who are looking for a quick bite.
4. Starbucks: This popular coffee chain offers a range of coffee, tea, and snacks for passengers who need a caffeine fix.
Overall, Yangon International Airport offers a range of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of its passengers. Whether you’re looking for a quick snack or a souvenir to take home, you’re sure to find what you need at the airport.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Yangon International Airport offers several prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers and visitors to use. These areas are located throughout the airport and are easily accessible to all.
1. Muslim Prayer Room: Located on the ground floor of the terminal building, near the domestic departure area, the Muslim prayer room is open 24 hours a day. It is equipped with prayer mats, a Quran, and ablution facilities.
2. Buddhist Prayer Room: Located on the second floor of the terminal building, near the international departure area, the Buddhist prayer room is open 24 hours a day. It is equipped with a Buddha statue, prayer mats, and seating.
3. Christian Prayer Room: Located on the second floor of the terminal building, near the international departure area, the Christian prayer room is open 24 hours a day. It is equipped with a cross, prayer mats, and seating.
4. Hindu Prayer Room: Located on the second floor of the terminal building, near the international departure area, the Hindu prayer room is open 24 hours a day. It is equipped with a statue of Lord Shiva, prayer mats, and seating.
5. Meditation Room: Located on the second floor of the terminal building, near the international departure area, the meditation room is open 24 hours a day. It is a quiet space for passengers and visitors to meditate or reflect.
All prayer rooms and worship areas at Yangon International Airport are free to use and open to people of all faiths. They provide a peaceful and comfortable space for travelers to practice their religion or find a moment of calm in the midst of a busy airport.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Yangon International Airport offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers have a comfortable and productive experience while waiting for their flights.
The airport provides free WiFi access throughout the terminal building. Passengers can easily connect to the network by selecting the “Yangon Airport Free WiFi” network and following the on-screen instructions. The WiFi is fast and reliable, allowing passengers to browse the internet, check their emails, and stay connected with their loved ones.
For passengers who need to work or study while waiting for their flights, the airport offers several workspace facilities. These include:
1. Business Lounges:
The airport has several business lounges that offer comfortable seating, workstations, and charging points. Passengers can access these lounges by purchasing a day pass or by using their airline’s frequent flyer program.
2. Meeting Rooms:
The airport also has meeting rooms that can be rented by the hour or day. These rooms are equipped with audiovisual equipment, high-speed internet, and comfortable seating, making them ideal for business meetings or presentations.
3. Internet Kiosks:
For passengers who need to quickly check their emails or print out documents, the airport has several internet kiosks located throughout the terminal building. These kiosks are equipped with computers, printers, and high-speed internet access.
Overall, Yangon International Airport provides excellent WiFi and workspace facilities that cater to the needs of all passengers, whether they are traveling for business or leisure.
The following is a list of the Yangon International Airport Lounges and their locations:
- Myanmar National Airlines Lounge – Located on the 2nd Floor, Domestic Terminal
- Myanmar International Airlines Lounge – Located on the 2nd Floor, International Terminal
- Myanmar Airways International Lounge – Located on the 2nd Floor, International Terminal
- Myanmar Air Lounge – Located on the 2nd Floor, International Terminal
- Myanmar Golden Star Air Lounge – Located on the 2nd Floor, International Terminal
Accomodation Options Nearby Yangon International Airport
1. Transit Lounges: For those looking for a quick rest, Yangon International Airport offers transit lounges equipped with cozy seating, charging stations, and basic amenities. These lounges are an affordable option for a short stay.
2. Capsule Hotels: Offering a budget-friendly solution, capsule hotels provide compact sleeping pods that allow travelers to rest in privacy. These accommodations usually come with shared bathroom facilities and are ideal for passengers with longer layovers.
3. Airport Hotels: Several hotels are located in close proximity to Yangon International Airport, providing convenience for travelers seeking comfortable accommodations. These budget-friendly hotels offer well-appointed rooms, complimentary airport transfers, and basic amenities.
4. Mid-range Hotels: If you desire a more comfortable and luxurious stay, Yangon International Airport also offers mid-range hotels featuring well-furnished rooms, modern amenities, and additional services such as airport shuttles, restaurants, and fitness centers. These options cater to travelers seeking a balance between affordability and comfort.
5. Premium Hotels: For the utmost comfort and luxury, premium hotels within a short distance from the airport provide opulent rooms, exclusive services, gourmet dining options, spas, and other high-end amenities. These hotels are perfect for discerning travelers seeking a lavish experience during their stay in Yangon.
6. Boutique Hotels: Offering a stylish and unique experience, boutique hotels near Yangon International Airport charm guests with their distinctive design, personalized service, and attention to detail. These accommodations often boast elegant rooms, artistic décor, intimate atmospheres, and exceptional facilities.
7. Service Apartments: Ideal for extended stays or those seeking a home-away-from-home experience, service apartments provide fully furnished units with kitchens, living areas, and all the necessary amenities. These options fulfill the needs of families or travelers desiring a more independent stay near the airport.
Yangon International Airport strives to accommodate the diverse preferences and budgets of passengers by offering a range of accommodation options, ensuring a comfortable stay for everyone, from budget-conscious travelers to luxury seekers.
1. Shwedagon Pagoda: Located just 14 km from Yangon International Airport, Shwedagon Pagoda is one of Myanmar’s most famous and revered Buddhist sites. This magnificent golden pagoda stands at a height of 99 meters and is adorned with thousands of diamonds, rubies, and other precious stones.
2. Kandawgyi Lake: Situated only 12 km from the airport, Kandawgyi Lake offers a peaceful retreat where visitors can enjoy a scenic walk or relax in the beautiful surroundings. The lake also features a fantastic floating restaurant, providing an opportunity to savor delicious local cuisine while enjoying stunning views.
3. Bogyoke Aung San Market: Located just 8 km away, Bogyoke Aung San Market is a bustling marketplace offering a wide array of traditional handicrafts, jewelry, artwork, and clothing. Visitors can immerse themselves in the vibrant atmosphere and browse for unique souvenirs to take home.
4. Inya Lake: Only 7 km from the airport lies Inya Lake, the largest freshwater lake in Yangon. Visitors can enjoy a leisurely boat ride, take a walk along the lakeside promenade or simply relax while admiring the serene beauty of the surroundings.
5. National Museum of Myanmar: Situated approximately 14 km from the airport, the National Museum of Myanmar offers a comprehensive display of Myanmar’s cultural heritage. Visitors can explore a wide range of artifacts, including ancient sculptures, royal regalia, and historical relics, providing a fascinating insight into the country’s rich history.
6. Karaweik Palace: Just a short 9 km distance away, Karaweik Palace is an iconic floating restaurant shaped like a mythical Burmese bird. Apart from enjoying a delectable buffet showcasing local cuisine, visitors can also take in breathtaking views of Kandawgyi Lake while experiencing Myanmar’s traditional dances and music performances.
7. Yangon Zoo: Approximately 16 km from the airport, Yangon Zoo is a popular attraction for families and animal enthusiasts. Covering an extensive area, the zoo houses a diverse range of exotic animals, including elephants, tigers, and various bird species.
8. Botataung Pagoda: Just a 10 km journey from the airport, Botataung Pagoda is a significant Buddhist temple with a unique history. The pagoda is said to house a sacred hair relic of Gautama Buddha and offers visitors a chance to explore its intriguing interior, adorned with intricate carvings and golden decorations.
9. Sule Pagoda: Located around 14 km from the airport, Sule Pagoda is another important religious site in Yangon. Standing tall in the heart of the city, this pagoda is surrounded by bustling markets and colonial-era buildings, making it a perfect starting point to explore the vibrant downtown area.
10. Yangon Circular Train: For those looking to experience local life and explore Yangon’s suburban areas, the Yangon Circular Train offers a unique travel experience. The nearest station to the airport is only 7 km away, making it easy to embark on this charming train ride that loops around the city, passing through various neighborhoods and providing glimpses of everyday Myanmar life.
History of Yangon International Airport
Yangon International Airport is the primary airport of Myanmar and is located in Mingaladon Township, Yangon. The airport was originally built during World War II by the British as a military airfield. After the war, it was converted into a civilian airport and was officially opened in 1947. The airport was initially named Mingaladon Airport and was operated by the Department of Civil Aviation.
In the 1950s and 1960s, the airport underwent several upgrades and expansions to accommodate the growing number of passengers. In 1964, a new terminal building was constructed, which was later expanded in 1972. In 1989, the airport was renamed Yangon International Airport to reflect its status as the country’s primary international gateway.
In recent years, the airport has undergone significant renovations and upgrades to improve its facilities and services. In 2016, a new international terminal was opened, which increased the airport’s capacity to handle up to 6 million passengers per year. The airport also has plans to construct a new domestic terminal and expand its runway to accommodate larger aircraft. Today, Yangon International Airport is a modern and efficient airport that serves as a vital transportation hub for Myanmar and the region.
Other Airports in Yangon Division, Burma